Wednesday, November 13, 2013

My First Ebook

I have stepped into the 21st century.  Granted, it was more like I stuck my pinkie toe in the waters while squinching my eyes up saying "I don't think I'm gonna like this!!"  Yep, I read my first ebook.

I read The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel on my iPad.  The book was dreadful, but the ebook experience wasn't terrible.

Pros:
There was an option to make the pages off-white, closer to the actual pages of a book.  That helped with eyestrain.
You could see how many more pages you had left in both the chapter and the rest of the book.
Obviously you can have more books in way less space.  Josh would appreciate this since he generally carries my overburdened suitcase.

Cons:
It's more awkward to hold the iPad for hours than a real book.
I look at a screen all day long so it's nice to read an actual book.
No happy book smell.

I think day-to-day I will stick to regular books, but for vacations and going away times I think I'll try another ebook or two.  As Stephen Fry said:  “Books are no more threatened by Kindle than stairs by elevators.” Books are good no matter what the format!

No comments:

Post a Comment