Monday, November 12, 2012

Libraries and Book Club

I love books, but my husband doesn't.  It's very disappointing.  I want to talk about the books I read because I love to talk and I love books lol!  So I joined a book club.  Guys it is so cute!  I love it!  I go to the library in my hometown.  It's a pretty big library, but it is a completely small town feel.  They have a big glass case that they use to display local artists and even collections of antiques, jewelry, hats, dolls, etc.  Sometimes you go in there and there is a group of little elderly people clustered around the chairs, talking like there is no rush, life is just flowing quietly by.  One of my favorite things about small town libraries is the community. I know most of the librarians.  Sometimes they reserve books for me that I know nothing about, just because they know my reading style.  They will even buy books or videos if I ask very nicely and they still have budget, because they say if I want to read it/watch it then others will as well.

Okay, so that was one part of this post.  I love my library.  I also love this book club.  It's small, just a few women and one man (occasionally).  I am the youngest person in the group, but it doesn't matter, we all share this love of books that crosses generations.  We each suggest books and read one each month.  I have a very different style of reading than most.  For instance, I have suggested Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood and Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett.  These are a little off the wall compared to the more "traditional" book club choices of John Steinbeck and John Irving.  I know it has opened my eyes to new authors and books that I wouldn't have chosen otherwise.  I'd hope that I have done the same with my book choices.

This town is a very traditional town, very conservative, very homogeneous.  What I love about book club is that it provides a place to talk about all sorts of different issues, even hot topic issues, from both sides without fear of backlash.  The whole point is to think outside of your own head and your own opinions.  It's surprising how many people have "hidden" views that you wouldn't expect, definitely lending credence to the phrase "don't judge a book by its cover".  Hmm, okay I don't mean this in a bad way At ALL and it kind of sounds like. I just mean that some people look super duper conservative, maybe even harsh, and they aren't, they have a much wider viewpoint than you might think.

If you love to read, I highly recommend a book club.  It's great.  It's fun.  It's nice to get out and talk to like minded people since my husband just doesn't have any interest in reading.   

No comments:

Post a Comment