Monday, December 5, 2011

A Geek Moment

 Have you seen these beautiful works of art?  Honest to goodness, I really do think they are super cool.


The first one, if you don't recognize them, is a T4 bacteriophage and the second one is E. coli.  They are made by this guy named Luke Jerram.  I don't know how or why he decided to make huge glass sculptures of microbes, but I think that pretty much makes him awesome.  I don't "get" art.  I don't mean to be barbaric or anything, but it just doesn't appeal to the brain hemisphere I predominately use.  If art were more like this, though, I would go to galleries!  I think I like these glass ones even better than these guys.


There is an entire line of these little ones.  They are plush microbes.  This one is mono (the kissing disease, get it?  With the big flirty eyelashes?).  I know a girl who had an entire collection of these.  They are cute and who doesn't want to cuddle up to a little ebola? 

That's the geeky moment for today.  Whether you like your microbes glass and four feet long or plush and just the right size for your bed, I hope you appreciate the microscopic world around us!

No comments:

Post a Comment