Friday, May 27, 2011

A Super Great Read!

I love to read.  I'm sure you already knew this.  I read this while I was at the beach.  It was so good!  I don't usually read a lot of Christian fiction because it is very predictable.  You can almost look at the cover of a book and know what it's going to be about, and I don't like to judge books by their covers.  Liz Curtis Higgs is such a good author.  This a second series set in 1700s Scotland.  I LOVE period books.  You can just sink into the time and ignore your ringing phone and noisy traffic.  This series is a more "modern" version of Ruth.  The first series she did about Scotland was a more "modern" version of Leah and Rachel.  Modern is a really relative term when you are comparing Biblical times, with 18th century Scotland, with the present day.  I like to read Liz Curtis Higgs because many years ago when I was transitioning from childhood books like Sweet Valley High to adult fiction, I wrote to her and told her how much I admired her writing.  She sent me a postcard back!  In purple marker!  I don't know why I remember that part, I just do.  It made me feel special that someone, even if it was just her publicist, read my letter and responded.  Moral of the story:  go to the library and check out this book, or borrow Thorn in My Heart which is the first in the first Scottish series, or go buy both and curl up to read all Memorial Day Weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment