Monday, September 24, 2012

Dreams

Isn't it funny how dreams change throughout life?  I was thinking about this today in relation to Josh who is in his first semester at UT and Eli who is just about to graduate high school and trying to plan the rest of his life, as if that's possible.

When I was little I dreamed of rooming with my bestest friend and working at a bank through college, dating really cute guys, and driving a corvette.  I did room with my bestest friend and I ended up marrying a really cute guy, but I never cared for banking and I never drove a corvette.

Then of course, Legally Blonde came out and I was totally enamored.  I wanted to be a lawyer.  Haha!  I am about the most non-confrontational person you will ever meet.  I would not survive in the dog eat dog world of criminal law.  Still that was a dream of mine for a long time.  I even joined Mock Trial.  I got a guy to perjure himself on the stand, the judge complimented me, said he dreaded the day he faced me in a real trial. It was a real high point.

After that, my dreams became a little more abstract.  I wanted to work at a place where I could wear New York and Co. and White House Black Market every day.  I know, I know, it's a weird dream, but it's what I wanted.  It symbolized having "arrived".  Shrug, and I like the elegant simplicity.

Now I just dream of being somebody, somebody special, and not just to Josh and Mom; they think I'm special no matter what.  Of course I dream of being the best wife and one day mom (hopefully) that I can be, but I still have dreams outside of my identity as defined by others.  That's odd to me because I figured getting married would sort of end my dreams but it hasn't.  That doesn't make any sense, but that's what I thought lol!  It will be fun to see how my dreams change as time passes.  Maybe one day I will wear NY and Co every day when I sit on the Supreme Court ;) LOL!

What did you dream about?  How did your dreams change with time?

No comments:

Post a Comment