Saturday, September 29, 2012

Coronary Corn Chowder

I love soup of all kinds.  I stumbled across a corn chowder recipe last winter that was SO good.  Being me, I of course can't leave any recipe alone so naturally it is modified to my taste.  You should try it, it's super yummy.

Ingredients:
1/2 stick butter (4 tbls)
3 slices bacon, cut into pieces
2 peppers, finely diced
3 cans of corn, drained
1/4 cup flour for thickening (more or less)
3 cups chicken broth or stock
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup skim milk
2 cups cheese
1 cup spinach
1 tsp garlic
1 tbls onion powder
Pepper to taste
Bread bowls

Toss it all in a crockpot except for the spinach and let it cook on low for several hours.  I didn't have tons of time so I added everything in together and only let it cook for two hours, but on high.  I've also made it on the stovetop and served immediately, so just do what you have time for.  Crockpot cooking will really cook out the flavor in the peppers though.  

To "make" a bread bowl, go to WalMart and buy a bag of their hard rolls from the deli section.  Use a serrated to cut of the very top of the roll.  Take out the middle portion as thoroughly as possible without lessening the stability of the roll walls.  Keep the middle parts if you want to dip in the soup if it's soupy.  Serve in the bowl and make it look like  you made that from scratch ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment