1. Fall colors-I LOVE when the trees start to turn and I can look at the mountain at the back of my subdivision and it is just glowing with colors. I think that with as much rain as we have had that the colors will be bright this year.
2. Fall smells-Is anything better than a cinnamon apple candle? I love the crisp smell of falling leaves and fires and chili.
3. Which brings me to: fall food-chili, soup, pumpkin pie, dumplings. In the summer I can’t think of anything to cook. I don’t want to turn my oven on and heat up the house and humidity completely zaps any desire to eat. I know Josh has to be tired of hearing “let’s just grab something from the pantry for supper”. Autumn has so many great recipes and it’s cool enough to turn on the oven.
4. Football-I don’t actually like the game of football, but it has this sentimental value to me. I guess because I have such happy memories of family gathering at our house on Saturday to watch the Vols and eat and hang out. It just makes me feel festive even if I have zero desire to watch sweaty men run headlong into each other (unless it is hockey, which is totally different to me).
5. Cooler weather-It’s been hot. My hair doesn’t respond well to crazy humidity. It’s so nice on fall mornings when you walk out and the air is crisp and cool but not freezing. You don’t have to have three layers and a heater, just walk briskly. That’s good weather.
6. Fall events-First there is school starting, then Halloween, then my birthday, then Thanksgiving. Autumn is basically back to back happy occasions.
7. Sense of impending greatness-Okay that is the worst description ever, let me try and explain what I mean. Maybe it was brand new notebooks and pens that would record all new knowledge in new school classes, maybe it is the cooler weather that makes you feel more invigorated, maybe it is just the happiness that fall brings me, but I always feel like I can do anything in fall. I am superwoman. Just around the corner, something good is waiting, whether it is something interesting new that I learn or just an awesome birthday present. I get the feeling that life is just about to open up into something new and exciting during the Autumn.
8. Fall clothes-By this time of the year I always start missing my fall clothes. In March I start missing my summer clothes. It’s totally normal to miss clothes, right? I start thinking about my Old Navy sweaters in red, blue, and white (because I tend to buy every color of an item I love from ON), and my cords! I heart corduroys. I have a cute purple coat I like too. Oh! Pink pea coat! I hadn’t thought of that one yet. Yep, ready for some fall clothes.
9. Fall cleaning-Okay so it isn’t that I just love to clean but I do love the feeling of a truly clean house. We always did fall cleaning instead of spring cleaning because fall is when my family gathers more (See #4 and #6). I remember coming home from school and smelling pinesol and bleach and knowing that Mom was taking care of everything and working hard to make our house a home and it was like all was right with the world (longest run on sentence ever?). I want the house Josh and I have to have that same feeling and a big part of that is fall cleaning. And love. That’s a big thing too.
10. Most importantly: Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks-Can I get an amen? I love this coffee. I’m not a huge coffee drinker but I would drink this every single day if my budget would let me. It is basically every single one of the above things in a cup with nutmeg and whipped topping. I feel like maybe God planned for there to be Pumpkin Spice Lattes just for me. Probably not, but it’s a nice fantasy!Let's think about these things while we roast in the heat today, okay? Maybe if we all think really hard it will be fall soon?