Saturday, May 18, 2013

A Persistent Verse

Do you believe in coincidences?  I'm not a big believer in coincidences.  That being said let me tell you about something that has been happening to me.  Wait, maybe you need a bit more information.  I work in the nursery at my church.  We have some majorly cute babies that I get to play with.  I do that twice a month, so I'm only in "big girl church" half the time.  Okay, moving on.

In the past year, I have heard the same verse preached on FOUR times in the past year and I've come across THREE times in reading different stuff.  Okay, so at this point, I'm sure I'm supposed to be getting some sort of message out of.  I appreciate how patient God is being while He tries to get whatever He saying through my head, but I'm just not getting it.  Isn't that awful??  I feel horrible!  Here I think God is telling me something, but I just have no idea what it is!  So help me out.  The verse is from Nehemiah 6:3.  The full thing is

So I sent messengers to them, saying, “I am doing a great work and I cannot come down. Why should the work stop while I leave it and come down to you?” 

But the part I have heard preached/read over and over is the "I am doing a great work and I cannot come down" part.  Let's talk about ideas I/Josh/Mom have batted around.  Please feel free to weigh in on an idea or suggest something I haven't though of because I obviously haven't gotten it yet because it keeps coming up.

1.  I should stay where I am because that's what I need to be doing.
2.  God is doing a work in me and it isn't over yet.
3.  God has a long list of great works He is doing and is too busy to listen to my numbers (Dad added, "Please take a number and I'll get back to you.")

I had one more, but for the life of me I cannot come down...no wait, I cannot think of what it is.

Considering how often I'm not present to hear a message it is amazing how often I hear this verse.  And then just coming across it reading is odd too.  It's not like I'm finding it as a I read through the Bible either, it's been in a couple of devotionals that I don't normally read, but just happened to pick up and it was open to a page that had that verse and devotion on.  I feel like I need an epiphany! So for the moment I'm still soul searching and praying and listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment