Sunday, February 12, 2012

God of the Natural World

So today at church the pastor made a comment about scientists/biologists.  It wasn't the first time I'd heard it, but I think it's the first time I've heard it since I've had a blog.  Now, I'd just like to say the rest of his sermon was good, it was just that this one thing that killed me. 

Now, I've heard this a lot.  I once saw a part of seminar on creation entitled Can A Biologist Be a Christian?  I am serious.  What I wanted to say was "hell yes!" but since it was a Presbyterian church and they are more conservative than Baptists I just nodded my head like a bobble doll during a car crash.  My neck pretty much came unhinged.

Here's the thing, I'm not a great singer.  If you saw me in the '07 production of VHS Seven Brides for Seven Brothers then you can attest to this.  I had a ton of fun, but I wasn't exactly stealing the show with my incredible voice.  I sing at church and it's praise and all, but only God appreciates it.  I don't play instruments well.  A lot of people worship that way and that's great.  I am a little jealous of people who really worship with their hands in the air and swaying to the music.  When I raise my hands in worship, I have this sudden fear that I'm going to be called on...by Jesus...and then what if I don't know the answer??  It's just not how I worship.

I worship and marvel at God's creation.  I read the original Watson and Crick paper that set out the structure of DNA.  Here's a confession:  I cried.  Like great big tears.  It was stunningly elegant.  I could just see God's fingerprints in the simplicity of the structure.  I worship through science.  I see evidence of God there.  Reading genetics papers is actually a form of worship for me. I cry, pray, the whole nine yards.


You can see now, that I would be offended to hear someone question whether you can be Christian and a biologist.  I have Never seen a passage that made these mutually exclusive.  You wouldn't question a businessman's faith even if behind the scene he is embezzling millions of dollars.  You wouldn't question a doctor's faith even though they stereotypically have a God complex.  It's frustrating.  So here it is:  I'm not a godless heathen.  I love Jesus.  I love science.  The natural world doesn't conflict with my beliefs, it supports them.  So grrr!

No comments:

Post a Comment