Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The MaddAddam Trilogy


The anxiously awaited third book of Margaret Atwood's MaddAddam series came out.  I have to admit that at first I didn't enjoy it as much as I did Oryx and Crake or The Year of the Flood.  Somewhere around the halfway point though it really picked up and I was once again overwhelmed by the possibilities Atwood painted.  I was particularly pleased with the ending.  Ms. Atwood isn't one to really wrap up a story in the way that most authors do.  In some ways it's great because you can let your imagination follow the leadings of her writing and come to your own conclusions, but it is also frustrating because there isn't the tidy package I'm accustomed to.  This probably had the best ending of anything of hers that I have read.  Maybe it was because she had three books or maybe it because after three books Atwood felt like we deserved a more concrete ending.  The great thing about Atwood's writing is that she always leaves me wanting more, just one more chapter, one more remembrance.

This series is definitely not for everyone.  There is some mature content and very little that will make you feel happy about the human race, but the what-ifs are great.  The dystopia is close enough to make it seem possible, but not so close as to make you start hoarding water bottles.  The books are also quick reads so if you like dystopian books or if you are looking for some bite in the syrupy-ness of Christmas then look no further than this trilogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment