Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Chromosome Mapping

Sorry I didn't finish NaBloPoMo strong. I got the Plague a horrible cold and laid in bed, coughing until my throat bled. I did fairly well though so, A for effort.

November blogging wasn't what I wanted to post about though. I heard a very cool commercial this evening. It was advertising a company called 23andMe that does DNA sequencing on your chromosomes for only $99!! This might not seem like a big deal, but it is. I remember learning about human genome sequencing in high school and how you might be able to one day have your own genome sequenced. At the time it was ridiculously time consuming and cost prohibitive to even consider having your own genome sequenced. Even in college, that was still a topic professors would speculate on.  It's so wild that we have come so far so quickly.

I don't know what sort of quality this company offers, but I lean toward more information being a good thing. You could know if you carried any (well any specific, known) genetic problems.  I feel a sense of pride for my fellow scientific brethren who managed to make chromosome mapping affordable and available! You go guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment